The Clifton Suspension Bridge must be one of the most famous and photographed bridges in the world.
It was planned as early as 1753 and was the subject of a number of design competitions.
After violent riots against a toll on Bristol Bridge (‘The Bridge’ at that point) in 1793, architect William Bridges unveiled a proposal for a new bridge that would pay for itself. He suggested a structure across the Avon Gorge in the spot where the Brunel-designed Clifton Suspension Bridge now stands. His design was so fantastic and otherworldly that the bridge that was ultimately built seems ordinary in comparison.
The multi-storey arch was to be flanked by six 40-ft storeys of rooms and galleries, containing homes, a granary, corn exchange, chapel and tavern, museums, general market, a library, a nautical school, offices, and stables. It would also feature a stone wharf on the Somerset side
Hotwells Railway Station (originally called Clifton ) opened in 1865 and was connected to the port railway to Avonmouth. In 1871 it was taken over by Great Western Railway who connected it to Temple Meads via the tunnel under the Clifton Downs. The station was removed in 1921 to enable the building of the Portway Road.
Vessels -ss “Burrington Combe”, another aft and a Bratt Line ship aft of this. These vessels are dressed up with flags – civic occasion? Repair work under way on the river wall.
The Grand Spa Pump Room was opened on the rock above in Clifton in 1894.
Alternatively you could arrive at Clifton Bridge Railway Station at Rownham on the Portishead line, opened in 1866, and get the Rownham Ferry across to Hotwells.
The Rownham Ferry is known to have operated in 1200.