Hotwell Dock (now Pooles Marina) had been built in 1765 by William Champion. Hillhouse Ship Builders were there from 1772 until c1823 when they moved to the Albion Dockyard. By the first half of the 19th Century there were numerous shipbuilding and repairing docks to the East of Hotwell Dock. Then the Poole Brothers developed the area for their coal and sand business, filling in the docks. They turned the area to the East of Hotwell Dock into a large wharf which continued operating up until the 1980s.
This dock is now Pooles Wharf Marina between the Rownham Mead (foreground) and Poole’s Wharf Court (background) housing developments.