“The land roughly resembles a hand-made ‘spike’, the term used for stout iron nails at least four inches long used in shipbuilding and in war to ‘spike the enemy’s guns’ by blocking the touch-ho;le of a cannon.” – Paul Elkin – Images of Maritime Bristol
New Goal was commissioned in 1816 – only the gate house on Cumberland Road remains
In 1895, the New Gaol was sold to The Great Western Railway. Most of the buildings were demolished and replaced with a coal yard and railway sidings.
There is still a plaque on the bridge in 2019 saying it was built by Lysaght Ltd Engineers Bristol in 1900.