In 1673 Welsh Back was known as St Nicholas Back.
The following story illustrates how dangerous the docks could be and relates the death of Arthur Norris in June 1876. The pictures that follow illustrate what Welsh Back looked like around this time.
Story submitted by Samantha Willis, Mr Norris’s Great Great Grand-Niece.
‘Harriet’ could be Barge Harriet O.N. 13317 which was built in1827 at Bower Yard Shropshire by John Harris. It was broken up in Bristol in c.1934 by T.R Brown.
Ketch “Sultan” and coaster “Isca”. Beyond the bridge is the Georgian terrace of Bridge Street, largely destroyed in WW2.